My First Homemade Beef Kebab!

Having celebrated Eid-ul-Azha recently, the refrigerator is full of beef. Beef and beef! This time mom and I thought that we would give our taste buds a little rest from the usual beef curry that has been being cooked for all our lives. So we went to the store and bought this cool grill (it looks nothing like your ordinary grill, trust me). Yesterday, we gave it a try and the kebabs came out successful! The best part of it was that all of us (except for my boring brother who was sleeping all the time!) had a great family time! So here's a small account of how we all enjoyed the day!

 At first, dad loaded the bottom of the grill with lots of black coal. Meanwhile, mom was preparing the meat. Large chunks of beef was cut into the shapes of long ribbons, and was kept soaked into vinegar for about 60-70 minutes.


Wonder what I had been doing? Running to and fro with the camera in my hands!
Okay so after that mom started preparing the spices, and dad and I concentrated on lighting the coal. Since it creates a lot of smoke, we took the whole thing out on the terrace.
At first we tried kerosene and fire. But after a few moments, the blazing flames would extinguish, leaving us with disappointment.



Grrr!!!

I got dad some newspapers, but after burning them, we created nothing but a mess of ashes! The coal still wouldn't light! After trying for a gazillion times, when dad finally declared that the coal wouldn't light, therefore, there would be NO kebabs today, I gave him the idea of fanning the thing up a little, just as a last resort, to see if it worked. I had seen someone doing it in one of the daily soaps (long live daily soaps!).

After fanning the coals for a few minutes, it started to work; and the coals became red hot and white smoke started to slither out of the grill!





I couldn't capture the red shade completely because of the flash and the darkness, but I think you can guess it from the picture above.

Anyway so the spices were ready, and the beef was mixed with them. Then I skewered the strands of beef and set them on the hot, smoky coal.





Looks nice, doesn't it?
But the cooked were not that good looking-because of me. Well, impatience is something that I was born with, and no one could put an ounce of patience into me ever since. Naturally, that particular gene of mine did not just sit back and let me have all the fun. Yes, I hurried and burned a lot of the meat.


Finally, mom came to my rescue and grilled the last few strands. And it looked something like this:




Haha I know my ones look ugly. But I'll learn to have patience soon, I guess!
Next came tasting. Well I've already gone through that bit, haven't I? It was salty, and VERY spicy and I could smell the smoke fresh in it! Oh and did I mention it was yummy as hell?

Everyone enjoyed eating them as much as they enjoyed making them. Even my half asleep brother gave me a thumbs-up when I pushed some grilled beef into his mouth. I did not bother for any vegetables or porota (paratha) with it, and pushed them to my stomach in chunks!

Note to Bangladeshi readers: If you want to make some of these kebabs, go to new-market and buy the grill. You can buy grills with 5, 6 or 8 skewers. The prices will be as per. And you will find the recipe in Professor Siddiqua Kabir's recipe book রান্না, খাদ্য, পুষ্টি (Ranna, Khaddo, Pushti). I'm sure you'll find the book in any library (I got mine from Aarong!). But then which Bengali household does not have a copy of this book?

P.S. I had read it somewhere that eating too much grilled stuff can be proven as the cause of carcinogens...the things that can lead to cancer, you know. But...oh well! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30-day Playdough Challenge: Day 7: Elephant!

30-Day Playdough Challenge: Day 1: Hello Kitty