Book Review: The Iron Daughter

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) by Julie Kagawa



Description of the book on Goodreads:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
My rating:






The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey #2) by Julie Kagawa





Description if the book on Goodreads:

 Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
My rating:




Let me tell you a secret: I love fairies!
Before reading this series, I had completed the 'Wicked Lovely' series by Melissa Marr; and after I started reading this one, I couldn't but wonder how similar they seemed. But when the concept of 'Iron Fey' divulged, I was left astonished, as well as awed to some extent. I love unique ideas, and this was one of them.

Julie Kagawa has an awesome way of writing. Her description of even the smallest of the details gives us the picture of a vivid world of imagination. Her language is fluent, yet striking, and is the perfect element to make a story even more interesting. However, I found the action scenes a little elaborated, and my concentration slipped at parts. But even those could not mar the beauty created by Kagawa in any way.

The series starts with Meghan Chase - a girl who soon finds out that she is half-fey, and to seek her brother, enters into Nevernever, and gets strangled into many unexpected things. The other protagonists of the story are Robin Goodfellow a.k.a Puck, and the prince of the Unseelie court, Ash.
One thing that made me heave a sigh of relief is that Meghan, fortunately was not one of those lead female characters who need protection from every petty thing. She was strong, yes, often suffered from indecision, but always ended up listening to her own heart. As usual, there was a love-triangle of Ash-Meghan-Puck which was only too predictable. But the incidents encircling the love-life of the trio remained quite vague, because the author didn't (or couldn't?) fully describe their feelings. Maybe because there were a lot of things going on in the story, and each of them needed more attention than some stupid matter of hearts; and maybe because the author thought that the readers would find out who Meghan wants in her life as they would read along anyway!
Ash and Puck were sweethearts, nothing to say about them.However the cat Grimalkin totally drove me up the wall!

The dialogues were way too satiric for my taste (note to those who disagree: I have a bad sense of humor!). In the second book, the unnecessary 'Darling' from Leanansidhe popping up in every other sentence irritated me much!

Overall, both the books were fun to read (although each of them took me a long time to finish) and I enjoyed them very much. Will obviously go for the next ones!

Favourite Quotes:
The Iron King:
“Touch her, and I'll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?”-Ash.
 “He shook his head, examining the wound again. “It's not frostbitten,“ he muttered. “It'll blister, but you should be fine. You might only lose a couple fingers.“
I glanced at him sharply, but he was smirking. For a moment, I was speechless. Good God, the Ice Prince was making jokes now; the world must be ending.”
The Iron Daughter:
 “You're kind of blind, you know?" Puck whispered, smiling to soften his words. "I wouldn't defy Oberon for just anyone. But, for you..." He leaned forward, touching his forehead to mine. "I'd come back from the dead for you.”- Puck.
 “She pulled up Ash's shirt, revealing a layer of gauze that was just beginning to seep blood onto the mattress. "At least the bandaging was done properly," she mused. "Very nice, clean work. Your handiwork, I presume, Goodfellow?"
"Which one?"
"The bandage, Robin."
"Yeah, that was mine, too.”
 “I was minding my own buisness long before you and the princess started humping like rabbits.”- Grimalkin.
 “Don't leave," I whispered, tightening my hold. "Never leave me again. Stay with me. Forever." The winter prince smiled, a small, easy smile, and lowered his lips to mine. "I promise." -Meghan and Ash.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30-day Playdough Challenge: Day 7: Elephant!

30-Day Playdough Challenge: Day 1: Hello Kitty