30-Day Playdough Challenge: Day 1: Hello Kitty

To be honest, I never believed I would ever find some modelling clay here in Bangladesh.
But I did! Although this was some Chinese clay with no label, I really couldn't decide on buying some lest they should turn faulty and unworthy of sculpting. But then I seriously thought of giving it a try and bought this rather colorful looking set of clay.


This set has almost every color (two shades of the same color which was absolutely unnecessary) except for black! I was so upset because a lot of things needed black in them. So I let out a deep sigh and said goodbye to my dream of making a penguin!

I wanted to try something as simple as a candy or a caterpillar of one color. But when I looked at the white clay, I decided that I would go for Hello Kitty first!
Using playdough to create stuff does not really need any specific directions. All you have to do is use your imagination and fingers, and you will end up with a nicely sculpted clay model. So I am just going to post a few photos of the process.

I sorted out the following colors for my kitty, and luckily they were there (except for black for the eyes) :(


I started with the head and added the (brown!) eyes:


Then the yellow mouth:


Then I added a red bow and the head was done! :)


The bow was a little difficult, because I couldn't make the center properly, and it kept coming off! But I made it in the end!
The head was a little rounder than necessary but I wouldn't stress on that much since this was my first time.

After that I made a square out of the same red clay which served as the body. I added two small hands with the white clay and attached them to the body. The head went on top of the square and this is what the final product looked like:


The face looks a bit sloppy apparently because I had forgotten to cut my nails. I miss the blackness of the eye and the model kinda loses originality because of them, but other than that I am quite happy with my work, given that this was the first time ever I got my hands on this clay.

Did you notice already? Yes, no whiskers. I did not really have anything to make the whiskers. So I left them out. I was thinking of using my hair (yes!) to make them but then found out that they are too thin and won't show. I decided that I would leave her pretty face just the way it was.

Don't ask about shoes. Or details on the dress. Or any accessories. I am just a beginner, remember?


Too bad that this is playdough and not polymer clay because I will not be able to save my work. I read it somewhere that playdough cracks if you dry them in air. If this is just a rumor, please, enlighten me. I would appreciate that very much. :)

"Psst": I think I am going to make a frog or something next time. I have two blocks of rather useless green clay lying around.

Click here to see the complete album on my Facebook!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30-day Playdough Challenge: Day 7: Elephant!